In this day and age, if you don’t have your own podcast, are you sure you really exist? It’s not just the purview of 20-somethings and teens anymore. Everyone seems to have a podcast, whether they want to share their opinions on real estate, favorite books, hot new shows or relationship issues. If you’ve got something you’re dying to talk about, you’ve probably thought about starting your own. Here’s how to start your own podcast in Davenport, IA:
- Come up with your angle: Naturally, the first thing you need is an actual idea. What’s the right podcast subject for you? Say you’re going to talk about 1980s toys. What will you call your podcast? Will you be the only host? Will you have guests? How long will your episodes be? What sets you apart from other podcasts on similar topics? (This might be something you need to research.) Having a firm concept of what you’re trying to do will make you more successful—otherwise, you might try a lot of different things and never know what sticks.
- Get the right equipment: Next, you’ll need the right equipment, like microphones and audio editing software. You can usually get professional-sounding microphones and more for under $100. There are some that plug into computers, while others are plugged into mixers. This will give you a better sound, but might be cost-prohibitive for other users. Do some research and make decisions based on what will be easiest for you to use now. You can always upgrade later.
- Create your media assets: Your podcast will need some basic art and a compelling description. This will be your potential listeners’ introduction to your podcast, so make sure it’s snappy and attention grabbing.
- Find a host: Next, you’ll need somewhere to host your files. Places like Podbean specialize in hosting podcast files, so you might want to start with a podcast-specific host.
- Syndicate your files: Finally, once you’ve recorded a few episodes, you’ll need to syndicate your files. That means putting them into an RSS feed so podcast distributors like Apple and Spotify “know” there’s a new episode available and can alert your listeners.
There are hundreds of thousands, if not millions of podcasts available right now. Part of the reason it’s such a popular form of media is that nearly anyone can create a podcast. The question is, will anyone listen to it? The more listeners you get, the more likely advertisers will pay to be on your show. That can pay for operating costs and your time, depending on how popular you are. However, this takes a lot of hard work and dedication, and you might not see results as quickly as you’d like. Stick with it, refine your production skills and you might end up being the hot new voice of America.
For broadcasting equipment, internet connections and more of what you need to start a podcast in Davenport, IA, Done Right TV has your back. Let us set you up with some of your podcasting gear when you call us today.